Friday 18 October 2013

Believe that you can …

Main Climbing Wall Southampton
I like rock climbing. I won't say that I'm very good, I'm alright at it. But I discovered, last night, that I'm limiting myself by my own perception of my abilities.

At the indoor climbing wall I go to, there's usually a list of all the routes and the 'grade' (an indication of the complexity or difficulty) of each but, earlier this week, they changed the routes around and haven't, yet, listed the grades for each route.

Now, normally, I'd look at the list to decide which routes to attempt based on the grade I think I'm capable of but, obviously, I can't do that at the moment, so I just started picking routes … and haven't failed on one yet.

The point is that sometimes we limit what we'll have a go at based on how complex something is versus what we perceive about ourselves. Doing this means we're unlikely to fail but, it also means that we're stopping ourselves reaching our potential.

Sometimes you just need to believe you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment